Saturday, October 22, 2011

Avocado & Corn Salad

Again, I found this recipe on Pinterest. I made it late Thursday night in preparation to bring to work for lunch Friday. Another good, cold recipe ;)
When I made it, I sent a pic of it to my bestie Rachel and she's been texting me asking me to post the recipe.  

I have to make a point in this post to say how amazing Rachel is.  She is the most inspiring person I've ever met.  As hard (and sometimes expensive) it can be, she is the one who has inspired me to find healthy recipes and eat as healthy as I can.  She is so independent, positive, and such a joy!




The original recipe is actually called "Avocado & Grilled Corn Salad w/ Cilantro Vinaigrette",
but we don't have a grill so I just used canned corn.
Here's what you need:
  • 5 ears corn, husk removed, brush with olive oil and grilled, remove corn with sharp knife. OR just use 1 can of sweet kernel corn, drained
  • 2 Avocado's, diced and sprinkled with lemon juice to prevent browning
  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
  • 1 small red onion, finely diced. I used half a red onion and it was PLENTY enough
  • 3/4 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1 1/2 cup English cucumber, skin on and chopped small dice. I absolutely hate cucumber, so I definitely skipped this part!
Add to a large bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.  I do have to point out though that when I combined these ingredients, I added the avocado last.  After I diced the avocado, I put it in a separate little bowl and sprinkled with lemon juice and THEN added to the rest of the ingredients.  I didn't want to have to sprinkle lemon juice on ALL of the ingredients!

In the first pic, I forgot the onion, but don't you forget it lol! As you can see in the second pic, I added the rest of my Hemp Seeds :)

Next! Cilantro Vinaigrette:
  • 6 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp Sherry vinegar
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp cilantro, minced
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 10 grinds of fresh ground pepper
 Mix well!

 When ready to serve salad, add the dressing and gently toss so you don't mush the avocado's.  This makes A LOT! So that it doesn't go bad, I would make this when you have someone to share it with. I wish I had someone to share mine with, I hate to waste!
Enjoy my girl! Xoxo
 
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment