Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Green Breakfast!

So, my husband is out in the field all week :(


What this means for him: He plays war; shoots stuff.
What this means for me: I eat tofu and catch up on my shows!

The last thing I want to do while he is gone is cook meals for 2 when it's just me eating. I've also been wanting to find something easy for breakfast and something cold, but yummy I can eat for lunch at work since we don't have a microwave there. I'm sick of spending 6+ bucks a day eating Subway. So I gathered up some great, healthy recipe's I found on Pinterest and went to the grocery!  


This morning I tried the first recipe for breakfast. I NEVER eat breakfast, I never wake up early enough... so by lunch time I'm starving and scarf any and everything down! No bueno!
The recipe didn't come in the standard "Ingredients" then "Preparation" form so I'll just go step by step... as it does not have to be exact. Get creative with it! I tweaked it a little bit myself, but I'll point out where.


Ok, so first I got out my Ninja blender (omg love!) and threw in about 2 handfuls of baby spinach and 1 1/2 handfuls of broccoli stems. Yes, just the stems because I had them leftover from the broccoli salad I made (recipe coming soon) and didn't want to waste! The recipe said to add the "salad stuff" which is basically your greens. Add full heads of broccoli, Zucchini, whatever you'd like!  Then, add about one cup of water. I had some Orange Juice that was fixing to go bad, so I used that instead. 


This is your base! Blend, then store half of it in a sealed container in the fridge for later use! Looks delicious, huh?


 After you pour out half to save, time for fun stuff! 
In the "original" recipe, the girl added:
-Blueberries and Strawberries
-Banana
-Flax Seed and....
-Raw Egg Whites! Gross! Maybe not, but too risky if you ask me. 


Here's what I used:
-Half a Kiwi
-Whole Banana
-1/4 block of Tofu for my protein instead of Egg Whites
-Shake of Hemp Seed
-Handful of frozen Raspberries, Blueberries, Strawberries
-Drizzle of Honey


  

Now blend and enjoy!! This really filled me up. It sounds so gross, but it's really yum and satisfying!


No comments:

Post a Comment