Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Great Lunch- Broccoli Salad

I was looking for something healthy and cold that I could bring to work for lunch.  I've grown to love Subway, but spending 6+ bucks a day blows.  We don't have a microwave at work, so my options are limited.  Luckily on Pinterest, I found this great recipe- Broccoli Salad!

What you need:
  • 1 head of broccoli, stems removed and florets cut into pieces
  • 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled 
  • 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup organic raisins
  • 3/4 cup "clean" mayonaise
  • 2 tbsp white vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp honey or other sweetener of choice
  • 1/4 roasted, no salt added sunflower seed kernels
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Of course I tweaked this a bit.  I was trying to go as cheap as possible, so instead of buying bacon and sunflower seed kernels, I decided I was going to use what I (thought) I had, Salad Toppings. You can find this in the salad dressing area, it's a mixture of sunflower seed kernels, bacon bits, and a few other yums to go on top of a salad.  But when I got home, I realized I didn't have this like I thought so I did without.  I also didn't have raisins and I'm not the biggest fan, so I did without those too.  

Preparation:

-In a small bowl combine mayo, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
-In a large bowl combine broccoli, bacon, onion and raisins.


I decided to top with the Hemp Seeds :)
  -Gently stir in the mayo dressing, sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve immediately!
 
 This is so so good and makes you feel good!

No comments:

Post a Comment