Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fresh Homemade Salsa

I've been "away" a while trying to catch up on sick days at work and spending time with Jordan since he's been back from the field.  A couple days after he got back, we finally decided it was time to get a dryer for our apartment (it came with a stacked washer/dryer combo, but the dryer part broke).  And we also decided to get the Big Screen TV and Playstation 3 he has been dreaming of since before we even started dating, so we headed to the PX to get it all tax-free!  It was a long day for us, as we decided to do our grocery shopping that day too.  We got home that night and he immediately started setting it all up while I made salsa! Here he is so proudly putting up the TV ;)
Ok, so on to the salsa!  I found this recipe a few years ago actually, in People Magazine.  The recipe was actually called Mango & Avocado Salsa (which I actually made it that way the first time), but I hate peeling mangos and avocados don't stay fresh long enough so I make it without those 2 ingredients now.  This stuff is SO good and fresh tasting.  Jordan and I love eating chips and salsa (pretty much on a daily basis) and we figured this is way cheaper and much tastier than store bought salsa.

What you need:
  • 4 med-large tomatoes, diced
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion 
I used my Ninja for all the dicing and chopping.  Worked perfect for salsa! I did the tomatoes first, then added the rest of the ingredients.





This last picture above is pre-mixture of course.  Pretty, huh? So just mix everything together and that's it! 

You can't tell from the pictures, but this makes A LOT! A little over 6 cups! I tried this picture to show how much it makes...
Enjoy! I'm off to make more of this right now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment